The Global Integrity Communications Internship will support our efforts to improve our communications from late August to early December. This role provides a great opportunity for someone to sharpen their communications skills, and to contribute to our work to support partners around their world in their efforts to address corruption and improve the use of public resources.
- Gain knowledge about Global Integrity’s mission to support open, accountable, and effective governance in countries and communities around the world
- Develop marketable skills in communications such as
- analyzing and synthesizing social media statistics
- managing editorial processes
- evaluating opportunities for engagement with current and potential partners, participating in evolving conversations in the field, and strategizing methods of improving knowledge and resource sharing
- Advance research skills oriented towards political systems, data collection and problem-solving
Are you a self-motivated, creative, and impact-driven individual looking to gain valuable experience with nonprofit communications? Do you aspire to support open, accountable, and effective governance in countries and communities around the world? Then you might be the perfect fit for Global Integrity’s Fall 2019 Communications Internship.
From Aug. 26th – Dec. 6th, you’d join Global Integrity at the Open Government Hub office [check it out- it’s a pretty cool space] in downtown DC. With an internship program focused on developing marketable skills and growing Global Integrity’s influence in the realm of anti-corruption, fiscal policy, and civic engagement, your workload would include the opportunity to:
Collaborate with Global Integrity staff to creatively convey content and investigate opportunities for engagement, 70%
- Research social media trends and propose how to increase engagement and information sharing
- Collect social media analytics and present them as meaningful measures for increasing our following, engagement, and improving our information sharing strategies
- Review Global Integrity’s website for accessibility and work with the Communications Manager to improve design and content
- Support Global Integrity staff with coordinating social media engagement, such as Twitter Chats, Facebook Live webinars, etc.
- Partner with the Communications Manager and Operations Associate to create promotional material such as one-pagers, social media action plans, and an organization-oriented onboarding process
- Assist with the drafting, editing, and production of the quarterly Integrity Insiders newsletter
Provide administrative assistance to GI team, 15%
- Represent Global Integrity at relevant DC events and report back
- Assist the Operations Associate in administrative tasks such as arranging travel and logistics, maintaining listservs, data tracking, and general office support
- Update and maintain datasets and assist with file management
Support the GI team with program maintenance and development, 15%
- Create, update and maintain lists of participants for workshops and other events
- Prepare materials for workshops and other events, including designing, formatting, and/or editing content to meet GI’s professional standards
- Assist with planning the logistics of events, such as booking catering, researching venue options, etc.
- Provide research / gather information to assist GI team members in decision making processes
Education, Experience, Qualifications
The ideal candidate will be a strong collaborator, with comprehensive experience with communications, initiative, and a creative eye for marketing. The following factors will strengthen an applicant’s candidacy:
- Currently enrolled in or recently graduated from a bachelor’s or master’s university program
- 1-2 years experience with nonprofit social media management and analytics
- Familiarity with website design and backend procedures (preferably on WordPress)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including confidence in using different tones / voices for content including newsletters, blog posts, and social media
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and social media schedulers such as HootSuite
- Resourcefulness performing online research and disposition to provide guidance to others.
- Proven ability to set priorities, manage time effectively, handle multiple ongoing projects.
- Demonstrated critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a professional but collegial communication style
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to Global Integrity’s mission
- Right to work in the US
About Global Integrity
Global Integrity supports local partners – governments and civil society organizations – in countries and communities around the world as they craft, implement, and refine solutions to the complex problems they face. In so doing, we help reformers close the gaps between policy commitments, implementation, and impact, and contribute to better governance and development outcomes.
We use the insights and evidence that emerge from our innovative work with local partners to engage with multilateral and bilateral development agencies and other external actors as we encourage them to operate in ways that prioritize the locally led innovation, learning, and adaptation that is key to solving governance-related problems.
We put this multilevel approach into practice in different ways across our work on integrity and anti-corruption, fiscal governance, and multi-stakeholder initiatives, as well as through our stewardship of the Open Gov Hub.
Internship Details, Compensation, and Benefits
- Internship runs from August 26th – December 6th, 2019 [15 weeks], with the possibility of an extension through the Spring 2020 semester
- minimum of 16 hours a week (2-3 days)
- SmartTrip transit benefits provided
- Stipend of $200 a week provided
How to Apply
To apply please submit a brief cover letter and resume or CV here.
Deadline for application: August 2nd, 2019