After the launch of the Global Integrity COVID-19, Fiscal Governance & Anti-Corruption Database in 2020, we are now happy to make an update to our Global Integrity COVID-19, Fiscal Governance & Anti-Corruption Database that is open to all with +800 resources on COVID-19, fiscal governance, anti-corruption, and vaccine distribution.
Since we have recently joined COVID-19 Transparency and Accountability Project (CTAP), an initiative with BudgIT Foundation and Connected Development (CODE) we have added a special column for CTAP to promote accountability and transparency through the tracking of COVID-19 intervention funds across 7 African countries. This is to advocate for openness, transparency, and accountability in public finance in Africa, we have added to our Global Integrity COVID-19, Fiscal Governance & Anti-Corruption Database.
We continue to gather more resources and initiatives to support your process of learning and collaborating more with stakeholders in response to COVID-19 and the rollout of vaccination plans.
Not long after the onset of COVID-19, we set about listening to our partners in order to develop tools and initiatives that add value to their work. This has included, helping to facilitate dialogue amongst a number of African organizations through the Account4COVID initiative and promoting collaboration amongst global partners at the Open Gov Hub. We have built on the work of other organizations such as Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE), Transparency and Accountability Initiative (TAI), Open Contracting Partnership (OCP), International Budget Partnership (IBP), The Global Anticorruption Blog, and the COVID-19 Conflict and Governance Evidence Summaries.
The database is a resource to strengthen and complement your work. It is organized in 16 columns that enable tags for finding information. Here are the definitions and frequencies for each tag. Below are descriptions of the columns and the information they contain:
- The first seven columns provide general information for each resource including the title, a short summary, the link, the producer, the publishing date, the type of resource (e.g. webinar, blog, article, etc), and whether or not the piece is part of a recurring series.
- The following three columns (level, region, and country) provide information about the geographical focus of the resource, and
- The last six columns include tags that we created to allow you to find the pieces that respond to your interests:
- The column “Resource Flow Stage tag” enables you to filter resources by the sectors they cover. The tags you can use to filter are Aid, Budgets, Health, Illicit assets, Procurement, Service delivery, and Vaccine distribution
- The column “Actor tag” enables you to filter resources by the type of stakeholder that is covered in the resources. The tags you can use to filter are Civil society, Donor, Government, Media, Multilateral Organizations, and OGP.
- The column “Governance tag” enables you to filter resources by the governance issues that the resource refers to. The tags you can use to filter are Accountability, Adaptive Management, Donor Response, Corruption, Economic Impact, Inclusion, Open data, Participation, Transparency, Policy Response, , Tech, and Civic Space.
- The column “Why was this included?” enables you to filter resources by the main contribution that the resource does to the debate on COVID, the tags you can use to filter are: Call to Action, Civic Response, Complaint, Experiences, Lessons, Recommendations, Risks, Thought Piece, and Trend.
- The column “Language” enables you to filter resources by Spanish or English.
- The column “CTAP” enables you to filter resources focus on the COVID-19 Transparency and Accountability Project (CTAP) by selecting “yes”
Potential use cases include:
- I’m writing a blogpost for a project on open government, open data, and anti-corruption in COVID-19 response. I used the database to make sure that I am up to speed on the most relevant issues. To achieve this,
- I use the column “Governance tag” to filter those resources that have tags for “corruption” and “open data”
- I find 73 pieces
Now, let’s say I am looking for resources on procurement related to COVID-19 in Sub-Saharan Africa. I can take two steps, (remember to delete any existing filter).
- First, use the “region” column to filter those resources that have the tag “Sub-Saharan Africa”,
- Then, use the “technical tag” column to filter resources that have “procurement”,
- I will find 129 pieces focused on the region and procurement. 33 pieces focused on the region and 96 on particular countries in the region.
We will continue updating the database on a bi-weekly basis. Our goal is to make it as useful as possible to us, to our partners, and to the wider fiscal governance and anti-corruption communities. We welcome your feedback and links to additional resources that would be good to add to the database. Please use this form or reach out at [email protected] to let us know how you used it and for what, also let us know your comments and ideas about how to make it better.