Hiring: Interactive Media Manager – Open Government Partnership
A new multinational initiative is hiring a writer to serve as lead storyteller, editor, and outreach strategist for a diverse network of open government leaders. This is a unique opportunity to see history happen, build an audience, shape an institution and – most of all – tell compelling stories about the open government movement worldwide.
The Open Government Partnership (www.opengovpartnership.org) is a new multilateral initiative that aims to secure concrete commitments from governments to promote transparency, empower citizens, fight corruption, and harness new technologies to strengthen governance. In the spirit of multi-stakeholder collaboration, OGP is overseen by a steering committee of eight governments and nine civil society organizations, backed by a small support team. The Open Government Partnership will formally launch in September 2011, when the eight governments on the steering committee embrace a high-level Open Government Declaration and announce their country action plans. A large number of additional governments will be invited to join OGP in September and signal their country's intent deliver their own action plans when OGP meets again in Brazil in March 2012.
OGP is looking for a dynamic, self-motivated individual with experience and skills in web content management, writing and editing for the web, social media engagement, and website management. Experience working on global initiatives and/or public outreach campaigns is highly desirable. Familiarity with the open government field is a plus.
The interactive media manager will be responsible developing the voice for all aspects of OGP’s online presence. In addition to writing, editing, and proofreading website content, this person will also work closely with a web development firm to maintain site standards with regard to new development. The interactive media manager will be responsible for helping develop and curate an OGP blog that includes both aggregated and original content (solicited from core OGP network). The interactive media manager will also be responsible for crafting website promotions around important events/publications, email newsletters, and online social media and outreach campaigns. The manager will also be responsible for managing content translations with outside vendors.
Strong online clips are required. The ideal candidate will also have experience managing online advocacy/outreach campaigns. Tasks require a strong attention to detail and ability to work under tight deadlines, with constant change requests from a variety of competing stakeholders.
- Writing for the OGP’s web and social media presence (requires working with standard content management software)
- Coordinating web projects with core OGP partners (networking mechanism, independent reporting mechanism)
- Creating and curating an OGP blog that includes aggregated and original contributions
- Maintaining and developing the master content calendar for all web properties
- Copyediting and proofing web content
- Building and overseeing a network of freelancers to contribute to the blog/site
- Remaining current with emerging web technologies through relevant blogs, listservs, and events with a particular focus on open government-related solutions
- Assuring web-based information is archived for future needs and reference
- Tracking and reporting on all site metrics
- Working cooperatively with key team members, partners and vendors
- Limited international travel may be required.
- Written clips showing a writing style appropriate to online media
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills
- Basic knowledge of HTML, and experience with a web CMS such as Drupal
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Basic photo editing skills
- Proven ability to build consensus and work effectively within a team
- 4-5 years experience managing content and production for high traffic websites
- Bachelor’s degree. Degree in English, Journalism, International Relations or a related field helpful.
- Familiarity with open government movement/principles a major plus
- Bilingual in major language helpful
Details and How to Apply
- Position is based in Washington, DC (legal status to work in the US required)
- Preferred start date is late August 2011
Applications must be submitted online via: http://www.tfaforms.com/211898
Please address any questions to Julie McCarthy at the email address below. Email contact is not required to be considered for the position, however.
Julie McCarthy (email@example.com)
Senior Advisor, Transparency and Accountability Initiative
c/o International Budget Partnership, 820 1st Street NE, Suite 510
Washington DC 20002, United States
[Disclosure: Global Integrity is involved with OGP as part of its Networking Mechanism.]
Image: thanks to Nick Corble (cc by/na/sa)