Our Indaba team is looking for an energetic, positive, creative team member to help us with our communications and business development activities. If you are organized, detail-oriented, and possess outstanding interpersonal skills keep reading! We offer a fun and flexible office environment, conveniently located near the White House in the OpenGov Hub, the world’s first open government, shared workspace environment with over 24 other organizations working in the transparency and accountability space. This position fills a critical need and is a great opportunity to help clients and enhance your professional development.
Our ideal candidate can play a key support role for outreach and communication needs for our Indaba platform. You will be reporting to the Indaba Projects Director helping the Indaba team research, collect and reach-out to new target markets. As a small team, we work in a very collaborative environment and even though you will have a distinct role to play, teamwork is a must.
Position Description: The Communications intern position requires a detail oriented person to help, organize and research and compile new contacts and market trends. As an Intern, you will collaborate with the Indaba team members to:
- Help with business development activities (research new opportunities)
- Contribute to social media content
- Implement our outreach strategy (including attend conferences as needed)
- Write and edit Indaba communications for marketing material, blogs and social media.
- Strong writing and communication skills – this means the ability to write a press release, blog post and social media posts with guidance or copy editing support and being able to speak comfortably to varied audiences, from amature to expert, in person.
- Degree in English, Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Business or equivalent experience strongly preferred.
- Can manage and consolidate multiple inputs from many people and create/use a common tone to convey key concepts.
- Working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets and database systems.
- Experience using social media such as Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook & Pinterest.
- Fluency in other languages, especially Spanish and French, are desired.
- Patient and enjoy helping people solve problems. We are looking for a person who can smile and nod for clients no matter how wrong they might be in reality.
- Detail oriented and self-motivated within a team environment.
Compensation: This position is an intern/associate level position within Global Integrity and is a paid internship (payment depending on experience). All applicants will be asked to send a writing sample.
Location: Washington, DC
Deadline: Summer/Fall Internship: rolling application till position is filled
Organizational Description: Global Integrity is an innovation lab that produces high-quality research and creates cutting-edge technology to advance the work of a global network of civic, public, and private reformers pursuing increased transparency and accountability in governments. In addition to our core team, we collaborate with a global network of more than 2,000 in-country contributors and partners who take our technologies, tools, and information to where they are most useful – the local level. The organization has won an Ashoka “Changemakers” award and an “Every Human Has Rights” award from The Elders and Internews; its methodology for assessing the existence and effectiveness of anti-corruption mechanisms is described by the World Bank as “best practice.”
Context and Need: To carry out its fieldwork and research around the world, Global Integrity has developed three generations of software-as-a-service. The latest version – Indaba – has evolved from custom, in-house software to a web-based SaaS used by both Global Integrity and third-party clients to more efficiently manage large-scale data gathering and information exportation.
Indaba is poised to serve as the primary distributed research tool for many more customers, projects and markets in the coming year.
How to Apply: Send your resume and examples/links of anything you’d like to show off to Monika.Shepard [at] www.globalintegrity.org